Thursday, July 9, 2009

University Navigation Is A Bitch

Yesterday I went down to Monash University's Clayton campus with the Level 3 crew to take a part in the Computer Games Boot Camp that was being run. It's essentially a program run by the University for kids in Years 9-12 to sort of get them excited about all the possible careers one can get involved with in gaming. It's a cool idea for an event, and something that I wish I had when I was looking for possible career choices.

Anyway, we went down there to do a talk to the kids. That part was done by Jason, Dale and Anna. I was there recording the thing. I'm in the middle of editing it now, and it should be uploaded hopefully shortly. But before I did that, I had to find the bloody place to begin with.

To be fair, it was mostly my fault. I had practically no familiarity with the campus, and I thought that all I needed was the building in which the event took place as well as directions to Monash. For that part, it worked out fine. Then I actually got to the campus, when I came to a shocking realization.

There were no maps. Or anywhere with directions.

I hadn't looked at a map of the campus prior, thinking that there would be at least one, if not more maps around the campus. Yet I saw none. I was just stumbling through the bloody campus until I saw some kids who were involved in the event (they had nametags), asked them where the building was, and they thankfully walked me to it. Then I was asked if I was a parent. I laughed.

But the point is, what kind of university doesn't at least have one map to show you where the bloody hell you're supposed to go? I mean, Deakin in Burwood is good in that there are maps everywhere. Vic Uni in St Albans and Footscray is the game. Ditto Swinburne in Hawthorn. It's bloody stupid to not do it, and to think that any and all visitors are going to check online for a map and NOT have one there is incredibly moronic.

It's like they expect you to go there to understan...

Son of a bitch...

No comments: